- Establish case control studies to address role of lifestyle, nutrition and genetic risk factors for cancer.
- Establish Cohort to study role of lifestyle, nutrition and genetic risk factors for cancer and other NCS. The cohort will be used to plan case control studies nested within the cohort.
- Establish studies to investigate prognostic factors.
- Conduct field intervention trials.
1. Establish case control studies:
- To investigate role of lifestyle factors (including tobacco use, alcohol drinking, physical activity , nutrition, reproductive factors, indoor pollution ) in development of most common cancer in India.
- To investigate role of genetic susceptibility factors and its interaction with environmental factors in development of most common cancer sites.
- To investigate role of infectious agent.
- To identify high risk group phenotype to conduct exom /whole genome sequencing.
- To develop common questionnaire with guidelines and control pool which can be utilized for number of case control studies.
- Develop laboratories to conduct biomarker and genetic studies
2. Establishment of Cohort:
- To develop a cohort of about 200,000 individuals (in the age group of 30-69) at Barshi, Dervan and Goa.
- To collect detailed questionnaire data on socio-economic variables, indoor air pollution, physical activity, anthropometry, dietary pattern, tobacco and alcohol use in the entire cohort and to collect blood samples for future genetic analysis and identify biomarkers of exposure and disease.
- To follow up the cohort to observe cancer incidence and mortality and morbidity due to other chronic diseases.
- To resurvey the cohort to obtained information on abbreviated questionnaire to observe changes in tobacco habits, diet, physical activity, and indoor air pollution. We will also measure blood pressure, height, weight and will take waist hip measurement at the end of every two year.
- Collection of data directly on laptop.
- Detailed FFQ. Development of nutritional data base based on 24 hours recall.
- Collection of intravenous blood.
- Developing methodology for collection and storage of dry blood spot.
3. Establish studies to investigate prognostic factors:
The existing case control study data will be used to investigate prognostic factors for cancer by linking them with clinical data set. New studies will be planned in close collaboration with clinicians by attempting good follow up information to understand prognostic factors for cancer.
4. Field intervention trial:
The centre will assist in developing and implementing field intervention trials.
Flow chart and summary of Analytical Epidemiology