This Division has two major activities Hospital Based Cancer Registry (HBCR) and Patterns of Cancer Care. Division of Hospital based Cancer Registry, Cancer care and Survival Studies, has been created and is operational since 1st July 2021. Earlier, it was a part of Department of Medical Records, Biostatistics & Epidemiology, CCE. Historically, TMH had the hospital-based cancer registry functional since the inception of the hospital in 1941. HBCR has been operational in collaboration with NCDIR, ICMR since 1984.
Patterns of Cancer Care is an expansion of Hospital Based Cancer Registry activity for Head & Neck, Breast and Cervix cancers since 2006, later in 2019 started with hematolymphoid malignancies, pediatric and other gynecological cancers. This activity has also been expanded to other TMC Centres - HBCH Sangrur, HBCH Varanasi, HBCH & RC Visakhapatnam since 2022.
- To generate reliable data on the magnitude and patterns of cancer care.
- Participate in clinical research to evaluate treatment modalities.
- Help plan hospital facilities.
- Contribute to active follow-up of cancer patients.
- Describe the length and quality of survival in relation to site, stage, and treatment.
- Show time trends in the proportion of early to late stages at the time of diagnosis.
- Develop human resources in cancer registration and epidemiology through recruitment and training of staff